Digitally Downloaded Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMOs on console - yes/ no?

+2
Shaan Joshi
MattS
6 posters

Go down

MMOs on console - yes/ no? Empty MMOs on console - yes/ no?

Post by MattS Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:11 am

MMOs have had a very checkered past on consoles. Either they require all kinds of add-ons and keyboards and things that turn the console into a very un-console like experience (Final Fantasy XI on the PS2), or they just don't work that well (most of the PS3 MMOs so far).

But after playing Final Fantasy XIV on the PS3 I'm a bit of a convert - that game worked really really well. And with the Elder Scrolls Online on the way it looks like MMOs will become a bigger deal on consoles in the future.

So the question of this thread is would you ever play an MMO on a console, and if so, which ones are you looking forward to the most?

cat 
MattS
MattS
Admin

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net

Back to top Go down

MMOs on console - yes/ no? Empty Re: MMOs on console - yes/ no?

Post by Shaan Joshi Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:33 am

To me, the MMO by nature is a very un-console like experience. But if you're already shelling out $400-500 for next gen consoles, I would just prefer to plug in a mouse and keyboard and have at it, if that's what needed. Much easier than upgrading a PC (and cheaper).

As for me, I've never really played an MMO on consoles, though I've watched some FFXI.
Shaan Joshi
Shaan Joshi

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:25 am

Give me a mic and a controller, and I'll be as happy as can be.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

http://caniswolfredsden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:56 am

Having experienced what happens when people get on to mics in online games in general, I have very little interest in experiencing that in MMOs personally Razz

I wonder if we'll ever get an MMO that does focus on the role playing and less on the irritating metagames and virtual commerce that all current MMOs focus on.

That's just the pen and paper RPG nerd in me coming out. Ignore as you see fit Razz
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by segisaurus Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:33 pm

MattS wrote:Having experienced what happens when people get on to mics in online games in general, I have very little interest in experiencing that in MMOs personally Razz

I wonder if we'll ever get an MMO that does focus on the role playing and less on the irritating metagames and virtual commerce that all current MMOs focus on.

That's just the pen and paper RPG nerd in me coming out. Ignore as you see fit Razz

Agreed.  If you can figure out how to reward actual role-playing in an MMO then I will play.  

I find MMO's boring.  Tried Guildwars, Wakfu, some random free-to-play ones (Not gonna pay a subscription).  Never progressed past level 5 in any of them.  All I see are endless fetch quests, no story, no exploration, people running around aimlessly like a chinese fire drill, in towns you get town criers "Join my clan!!" or "I have high level quest items for sale on ebay!!", and you better memorize all 600 keyboard shortcuts or get good at programing macros so you can just have the game play itself.  Can't see how this would get any better on a console.
segisaurus
segisaurus

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:44 am

segisaurus wrote:
MattS wrote:Having experienced what happens when people get on to mics in online games in general, I have very little interest in experiencing that in MMOs personally Razz

Agreed.  If you can figure out how to reward actual role-playing in an MMO then I will play.  

I find MMO's boring.  Tried Guildwars, Wakfu, some random free-to-play ones (Not gonna pay a subscription).  Never progressed past level 5 in any of them.  All I see are endless fetch quests, no story, no exploration, people running around aimlessly like a chinese fire drill, in towns you get town criers "Join my clan!!" or "I have high level quest items for sale on ebay!!", and you better memorize all 600 keyboard shortcuts or get good at programing macros so you can just have the game play itself.  Can't see how this would get any better on a console.

Paid ones are better in nearly every aspect. Not perfect, but still better. Just saying.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:10 am

CanisWolfred wrote:
segisaurus wrote:

Paid ones are better in nearly every aspect. Not perfect, but still better. Just saying.

From my time in both WoW and Final Fantasies XI and XIV, they're better in the sense that they offer a better sense of world and story, but the community problems persist there as well.

Overuse of the "/dance" command is another one that kinda breaks the immersion.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasuki Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:58 am

Well as an avid player of WoW I just cant see playing an MMO on a console. For one thing I prefer playing with a keyboard and my Razer Naga mouse.
Tasuki
Tasuki

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Tasuki wrote:Well as an avid player of WoW I just cant see playing an MMO on a console.  For one thing I prefer playing with a keyboard and my Razer Naga mouse.
Are you considering migrating to a new MMO now that it looks like WOW's steam is finally starting to run down?

FFXIV is really awesome, just so you know ;-)
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasuki Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:58 pm

MattS wrote:
Tasuki wrote:Well as an avid player of WoW I just cant see playing an MMO on a console.  For one thing I prefer playing with a keyboard and my Razer Naga mouse.
Are you considering migrating to a new MMO now that it looks like WOW's steam is finally starting to run down?

FFXIV is really awesome, just so you know ;-)

Lol I can't really answer that at this point. I have been there before with so many MMOs the last one was The Old Republic, but for some reason or another WoW keeps pulling me back. I thought I was done with WoW this time around and than they went ahead and made that Asian themed expansion and me loving the Asian culture had to check it out of course. I have taken breaks from WoW as I said and tried other MMOS but only time will tell if one will grab me as much as WoW does.

Then again I have only been playing WoW since Lich King so I guess that I am not ready to move on like some of these players since the beginning are.
Tasuki
Tasuki

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:48 pm

Lich King was 5 years ago, man. If it were me, I'd be more than ready to move on. Razz
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasuki Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:37 am

CanisWolfred wrote:Lich King was 5 years ago, man. If it were me, I'd be more than ready to move on. Razz
Wow has it been that long? :O Lol. As I said I have taken breaks from WoW the last one I took was at the end of Cataclysm I took a six month break. I think that helps me from getting bored of it over all. Than again I honestly dont play that much maybe about 2 to 4 hours a week if that.
Tasuki
Tasuki

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:04 am

The add-ons will never seize to exist. When they do disappear, then the console will no longer be a console. PCs were, are, and will always be MMOs until a new machine extincts it. Which, as surprising as this may be, will be awhile.

So the answer is no. MMOs have to be developed by people who know what they're doing in every aspect whether or not it's good. When it comes down to the power of the console, this next generation will benefit those few dedicated developers in bringing a competitive port, remake, and/or new experience.

So it'll always be a mixed bag until consoles can compete with the accessibility of PCs for that specific genre. (I highly doubt that genre will catch on with the console's user base.)
Joseph
Joseph

Back to top Go down