Digitally Downloaded Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ever discovered a game on Virtual Console that you hadn't played before?

+5
Stealth
Chalgyr
Midori
cheetahman91
MattS
9 posters

Go down

Ever discovered a game on Virtual Console that you hadn't played before? Empty Ever discovered a game on Virtual Console that you hadn't played before?

Post by MattS Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:19 am

One of the best things about the Virtual Console, in my opinion, is that it offers up the occasional game that I've never played before (or perhaps never even heard of before). 

So for instance, I never owned a Game Gear, and so courtesy of the 3DS Virtual Console I'm discovering some games that I never even knew existed. I know I gave a low score to Defenders of Oasis (http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2013/06/review-defenders-of-oasis-3ds.html) but on a personal level I loved getting to play a classic JRPG for the first time. 

So, are there any games like that for you? Very Happy
MattS
MattS
Admin

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net

Back to top Go down

Ever discovered a game on Virtual Console that you hadn't played before? Empty Re: Ever discovered a game on Virtual Console that you hadn't played before?

Post by cheetahman91 Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:14 am

Way too many. I'd say I did pretty good though purchase-wise. The only ones that I didn't care for were Metroid, NES Open Tour. Golf, Tennis and Yoshi. My top three favorites are Paper Mario (probably the best impulse game-related purchase), Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Star Parodier.
cheetahman91
cheetahman91

Back to top Go down

Ever discovered a game on Virtual Console that you hadn't played before? Empty Re: Ever discovered a game on Virtual Console that you hadn't played before?

Post by MattS Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:33 am

cheetahman91 wrote:Way too many. I'd say I did pretty good though purchase-wise. The only ones that I didn't care for were Metroid, NES Open Tour. Golf, Tennis and Yoshi. My top three favorites are Paper Mario (probably the best impulse game-related purchase), Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Star Parodier.

Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about Paper Mario - I also hadn't played that game (or any of the spiritual sequels on later consoles) before impulse buying it on the Wii Virtual Console. 

30 or so hours later I found myself wondering why the heck Nintendo never felt the need to make a proper sequel using the same basic gameplay formula of the game. It's right up there with my favourite Mario games ever made. 

Welcome to the forum by the way - hope you have a good time here! Smile
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:26 pm

MattS wrote:
30 or so hours later I found myself wondering why the heck Nintendo never felt the need to make a proper sequel using the same basic gameplay formula of the game. It's right up there with my favourite Mario games ever made. 
They actually did make one for the Game Cube - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. It has some shape-shifting gimmickry but it works in context and all the same basic mechanics (partners, star points, turn-based battles, etc.) are back. Must have played through it like 4 or 5 times since '04. If Wii U ever gets a Game Cube Virtual Console going, I might even recommend this one over the original. The latest two releases definitely strayed from what made the original so great though.

As for my own Virtual Console experiments, the first one that comes to mind is uh, Milon's Secret Castle. Not exactly a compelling argument to experiment outside of one's comfort zone. I've had solid success though still. Castlevania IV, Avenging Spirit, and that Pokemon puzzle game weren't too bad. I do like trying out more obscure properties as well.
Midori
Midori

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:55 pm

I will have to try and track that GameCube game down - I have a Wii to play it on, but I had always avoided it, assuming for some reason that it had done away with the RPG elements like the later games had. 

Another really great little surprise I found from Virtual Console was actually from the PS Classics - I had never played Wild Arms before but downloaded it on a whim off the PSN - I was more than a little impressed Very Happy
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:34 pm

I've definitely seen titles out there I didn't play previously - but very seldom that I didn't know existed. You recently wrote up on one, talking about Shining Force for... I believe it was the Game Gear? I thought I had played every Shining Force released over in the US, but I had not heard of that one even.
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

http://chalgyrsgameroom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:50 am

I buy everything at launch almost lol
Stealth
Stealth

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:44 am

Define "Discover". Because I researched so many games, it's rare that anything good that's old turns up that I'm not aware of. I have, however, played a few gems for the first time on Virtual console, such as Wario Land 2 and Blaster Master.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

http://caniswolfredsden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Bob Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:41 am

Too many. I never really played any NES or SNES games before VC..
Billy Bob
Billy Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Billy Bob wrote:Too many. I never really played any NES or SNES games before VC..

What would you say has been your favourite discovery? Smile
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Bob Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:07 pm

MattS wrote:
Billy Bob wrote:Too many. I never really played any NES or SNES games before VC..

What would you say has been your favourite discovery? Smile
Hm.. I'd probably say either Chrono Trigger or maybe Super Mario RPG.. Although, even though I "discovered" Chrono Trigger a long time ago, I didn't download it until fairly recently lol. The only problem I have with both games is that I have a short attention span when it comes to JRPG's.. Which is why I still haven't beat either game..
Billy Bob
Billy Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by SamM Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:25 pm

MattS wrote:I will have to try and track that GameCube game down - I have a Wii to play it on, but I had always avoided it, assuming for some reason that it had done away with the RPG elements like the later games had. 

The GameCube version is amazing. I bought that on impulse and it is probably my favourite GameCube game.

I'll let you borrow it if you want.
SamM
SamM

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:41 pm

SamM wrote:
MattS wrote:I will have to try and track that GameCube game down - I have a Wii to play it on, but I had always avoided it, assuming for some reason that it had done away with the RPG elements like the later games had. 

The GameCube version is amazing. I bought that on impulse and it is probably my favourite GameCube game.

I'll let you borrow it if you want.

Sounds good. I'll swap you a loan of your game for a beer or ten.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Matt wrote:

I want a beer or ten.

My favorite discovery on the VC would have to be... Kirby Dream Land 3. Yeap.
Joseph
Joseph

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:51 am

Joseph wrote:
Matt wrote:

I want a beer or ten.

I would send you one, but by the time it gets to you it will probably be warm, and I don't think you're British. Sad
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joseph Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:45 pm

I can pretend to be British. Razz
Joseph
Joseph

Back to top Go down