Digitally Downloaded Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dating games!

5 posters

Go down

Dating games! Empty Dating games!

Post by MattS Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:51 pm

Possibly the most popular genre of game in Japan that is nearly never localised.. The dating game!

It always surprises me that people criticise games like Love Plus - there's nothing in that game that isn't in Persona 4 and yet one is beloved while the other is... not.

But I am hoping that the digital distribution services, and the fact that those take costs out of localising means that we will see more of these games in the future out west.

That's the point of this thread and all that, have you played any dating games, are you a fan of any etc etc?

I'm a big fan of the Love Plus games - excellent stories and charatacters, and superb gameplay. It's kinda sad that Konami refuses to even give them a chance in the west Sad
MattS
MattS
Admin

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net

Back to top Go down

Dating games! Empty Re: Dating games!

Post by CanisWolfred Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:21 pm

I always wanted to play one of these types of games, just to see how far I'd get being a total jerk.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

http://caniswolfredsden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:25 pm

CanisWolfred wrote:I always wanted to play one of these types of games, just to see how far I'd get being a total jerk.
Haha! From experience, not far at all with most of them.

Except Hentai dating games. With those being a jerk is mandatory and there's no dialogue options not to be a jerk Razz
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by V8_Ninja Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:58 pm

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I've been interested in just floating my way through a visual novel. I've been so entrenched with focusing on mechanics that I would like to just sit back and digest ideas that are accompanied with pretty visual stills. Anyone know of a VN like that?
V8_Ninja
V8_Ninja

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 pm

The most recent "dating game" I've played (which was decidedly more of a glorified visual novel in denial considering its depth and plot) was My Neighbour Girl for the iPhone. That one had serious issues but was at least amusing in the voice acting and script department since it was fully translated. I believe the free demo version is still up if anyone feels daring...
Midori
Midori

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:57 pm

V8_Ninja wrote:I know this is slightly off-topic, but I've been interested in just floating my way through a visual novel. I've been so entrenched with focusing on mechanics that I would like to just sit back and digest ideas that are accompanied with pretty visual stills. Anyone know of a VN like that?
Most VNs are like that. If you want recommendations for good ones, I can think of a few, though I'd need a bit to write them up.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:12 am

V8_Ninja wrote:I know this is slightly off-topic, but I've been interested in just floating my way through a visual novel. I've been so entrenched with focusing on mechanics that I would like to just sit back and digest ideas that are accompanied with pretty visual stills. Anyone know of a VN like that?
If you have a PSP/ Vita, then the Corpse Party games are essential, I've heard. Never released in Australia, and so hard for me to buy off the American PSN thanks to the PSP/ Vita's silly "one account only" rule, but I know a lot of American friends that love those games, and they're essentially visual novels.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:22 am

@V8_Ninja - I can think of 5 VNs I either liked or heard a lot of good things about:

Ever17 - Heard the most praise and even liked it myself. Probably my top choice to go with.

Katawa Shoujo - This one's officially free, and actually quite enjoyable. Might count more as a dating game, though, and there are some optional sex scenes...so...at least I'm on topic!

Umineko: When They Cry - I was not a fan of Higurashi, but supposedly this one's the better cousin.

Stein;Gate - The anime got a lot of praise, but supposedly the VN's good, too. It's actually just recently got announced for official release in the U.S.

Fate/Stay Night - God I hate this one, but I seem to be in the minority. Otherwise it was the premier Visual Novel before 999 was a thing.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

Back to top Go down

Post by Magikarp Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:51 am

I ran pretty deep into Katawa Shoujo, except it all started getting a little too real for me. I realised how emotionally invested I had become into the story and characters, so I decided to take a break. I've now been to terrified to go back XD

I've also always wanted to try my hand at making a visual novel. I actually have detailed plans written out somewhere on my computer, but I don't think it'd ever see the light of day Crying or Very sad 
Magikarp
Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:08 am

Magikarp wrote:I ran pretty deep into Katawa Shoujo, except it all started getting a little too real for me. I realised how emotionally invested I had become into the story and characters, so I decided to take a break. I've now been to terrified to go back XD

I've also always wanted to try my hand at making a visual novel. I actually have detailed plans written out somewhere on my computer, but I don't think it'd ever see the light of day Crying or Very sad 
Is there a visual novel maker software out there? I reckon writing one of those would be an awesome experience.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magikarp Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:47 pm

MattS wrote:
Magikarp wrote:I ran pretty deep into Katawa Shoujo, except it all started getting a little too real for me. I realised how emotionally invested I had become into the story and characters, so I decided to take a break. I've now been to terrified to go back XD

Is there a visual novel maker software out there? I reckon writing one of those would be an awesome experience.
There is, it's freeware, and it's currently installed on my PC. You can nab it here.

It looks pretty easy to use and I don't think there would be much coding involved unless you want to set up an inventory system or something. The only hard part is putting in the effort to finish something Razz
Magikarp
Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Magikarp wrote:
MattS wrote:

There is, it's freeware, and it's currently installed on my PC. You can nab it here.

It looks pretty easy to use and I don't think there would be much coding involved unless you want to set up an inventory system or something. The only hard part is putting in the effort to finish something Razz
Well, that and the art work Razz I can write the words but I need someone to do the pretty pictures.

But thanks for that link - that is awesome!
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down