Digitally Downloaded Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PSOne Games

5 posters

Go down

PSOne Games Empty PSOne Games

Post by CanisWolfred Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Just thought I'd make a thread for discussing the original Playstation and its games.

I got a PSOne (the slim version of the original Playstation) back in 2000. Back then I wasn't much of a gamer, so I only got Crash Team Racing, Beyblades, and a bunch of Digimon games for it way back when. I did eventually get a bunch of RPGs for it in recent years, though, such as Final Fantasy IX. I also have about 30 PSOne Classics on the PS3 and PSP, such as FF7 and Grandia.

My favorite PSOne game is probably Grandia so far. It seems like just the right game for me. The combat is very fun and unique for its time, and is easy to make use of during regular battles while having enough depth to make boss battles a riveting challenge. There's also just enough exploration and incentives for grinding to make you want to engage in normal battles frequently, without really forcing you to grind when you don't want to. I'm only 10 hours in, so I can't say much about the story, but the dialogue so far has really sold me the most on this game. I just really enjoy reading what everybody has to say. It helps that the main characters are very likeable, and there are a lot of goofballs in this world. Overall, the game has this sense of wonder and whimsy that I like so far, though it recently started hinting at some encroaching danger, so I guess we'll see how that goes.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

http://caniswolfredsden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

PSOne Games Empty Re: PSOne Games

Post by Astor M Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:52 pm

I also got a PSOne and just like you I wasn't really a gamer or knew anything about games. I had Crash (one of them, no idea), Syphon Filter 1,2 and 3, MGS 1 and I did got FF7. The thing is, back then I was like 8 and I didn't even knew what RPG's was so I played half of it and I don't remember any of it. I plan on getting it from the store sometime and other old FF games and Chrono Trigger, yes I haven't played yet, but someday, someday I will! Very Happy 
I love playing old games and trying new franchises that I never had a chance to get into. I played Tales of Phantasia recently and I also played Legend of the Dragoon on my Vita early this year. And never heard of Grandia, but I just looked it up on Youtube and it looks really good. Going to add it to my list of games that I want, and it is a real list. Razz
Astor M
Astor M

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:51 am

Astor M wrote:I played Tales of Phantasia recentlyP
Was this on GBA or did you actually play the PSOne version?
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

Back to top Go down

Post by Astor M Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:23 am

CanisWolfred wrote:
Astor M wrote:I played Tales of Phantasia recentlyP
The PSOne version, didn't know it was on GBA too.
Astor M
Astor M

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:41 am

Astor M wrote:
CanisWolfred wrote:
Astor M wrote:I played Tales of Phantasia recently
The PSOne version, didn't know it was on GBA too.
Then you've played the best version! That game is actually one of my favorite RPGs, and I even recently started replaying it now that there's a new translation out.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:10 am

I never had a PlayStation. Back when I was a youngster and the console was on the shelves my parents insisted that we only have one home console. So I stuck with Nintendo's - no SEGA consoles either.

Thanks to the PS2 backwards compatibility and the PSOne Classics I've picked up a lot since, though. For favourites it's hard to look past Final Fantasy Origins and the PSOne FF games. I also really liked Grandia and Wild Arms in terms of JRPGs.

Other genres? Sim City 2000 and Civilization 2 were great ports, and I also love Magic Carpet with a passion (where's the HD remake of that, EA?).

Chocobo Racing, Dice De Chocobo and the Chocobo Dungeon games are also personal favourites, though I've only played those in Japanese.

And of course the Kings Field games.
MattS
MattS
Admin

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:35 am

I also missed out on the PSOne at the time, but the Classics service has remedied that just fine. In fact, I got several games that would've been impossible to run at the time such as the stellar import shooter Kyuiin.

Other than that, ones that come to mind include Jumping Flash, Tomba, Castlevania Chronicles & Symphony of the Night, the Final Fantasies, and the (decidedly superfluous) Mega Man imports. The relative cheapness of them means I've amassed quite a few.
Midori
Midori

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:32 pm

PSOne was actually the first console I had ever pre-ordered. I grabbed a handful of games right when it came out. For some reason, Battle Arena Toshinden is standing out in my mind. Still, FF VII was awesome (of course) - lots of RPGs. I played a ton of sports games too. Too many titles for me to just pin down a couple though.
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

http://chalgyrsgameroom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down