Digitally Downloaded Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of games do you play on your iPad?

+2
Midori
MattS
6 posters

Go down

What kind of games do you play on your iPad? Empty What kind of games do you play on your iPad?

Post by MattS Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:31 am

One of the most common arguments I hear around the Internet is that the iPad isn't really good for anything other than Candy Crush Saga and $0.99 minigames. It's a casual play device and no good for "real" gaming experiences, I hear. 

But personally I couldn't disagree more. The recent release of XCOM is the ultimate proof of that, but I've been playing serious games on my iPad for years now. Stuff like Civilization Revolution, or classic Final Fantasy games - there's some amazing game experiences on the platform, and I'm confused why it still has that reputation. 

So I put it to everyone else out there with iPads - what kinds of games do you play on the platform? Do you also have a 3DS or Vita, and if so, do you play different kinds of games on those devices?

This could open a can of worms. Twisted Evil
MattS
MattS
Admin

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net

Back to top Go down

What kind of games do you play on your iPad? Empty Re: What kind of games do you play on your iPad?

Post by Midori Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:58 am

I primarily use it for retro games, but the same could probably be said of both the 3DS and the Vita most of the time (what with regular and cheap VC/PS1 releases). The iPad does in fact have a very good selection of classic titles from Chrono Trigger to Sonic to even Dreamcast games like Soul Calibur and Jet Set Radio. Though the quality of the controls seems to vary on an individual basis, I do find most to be perfectly playable despite the whole touch screen argument.
Midori
Midori

Back to top Go down

What kind of games do you play on your iPad? Empty Re: What kind of games do you play on your iPad?

Post by pixelman Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:50 am

All I've really been playing on my iPhone/iPad lately are Clash of Clans and KOTOR. Recently got into FF13 and just picked up ACNL, so those have been stealing my attention.

I'd play the FF games on iPad, but the ports come across as really shoddily done. I did cave and buy FF3, but the framerate's awful even on an A5 chip. And the UI on the 2D games... ugh. At best it looks like prototype-level stuff. I miss the elegant pixelart so much.

Anyway, KOTOR alone makes the iPad a solid gaming device imho, haha. It's the only iOS game I dropped 10 bucks on without even thinking about it. Such a good game. XCOM is really tempting me, but I can't justify dropping $20 on another game right now, haha.
pixelman
pixelman

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:59 am

ClarkA wrote:I primarily use it for retro games, but the same could probably be said of both the 3DS and the Vita most of the time (what with regular and cheap VC/PS1 releases). The iPad does in fact have a very good selection of classic titles from Chrono Trigger to Sonic to even Dreamcast games like Soul Calibur and Jet Set Radio. Though the quality of the controls seems to vary on an individual basis, I do find most to be perfectly playable despite the whole touch screen argument.

Indeed. I honestly have yet to come across a game on the iPad that I found unplayable thanks to the controls. It might just be because I'm used to the virtual control sticks by now, but I'm perfectly comfortable with the way they play. 

I find iPhone games more problematic because the screen is small enough that my thumbs get in the way, but I mostly just play Fortune Street on my iPhone now.

pixelman wrote:All I've really been playing on my iPhone/iPad lately are Clash of Clans and KOTOR. Recently got into FF13 and just picked up ACNL, so those have been stealing my attention.

I'd play the FF games on iPad, but the ports come across as really shoddily done. I did cave and buy FF3, but the framerate's awful even on an A5 chip. And the UI on the 2D games... ugh. At best it looks like prototype-level stuff. I miss the elegant pixelart so much.

Anyway, KOTOR alone makes the iPad a solid gaming device imho, haha. It's the only iOS game I dropped 10 bucks on without even thinking about it. Such a good game. XCOM is really tempting me, but I can't justify dropping $20 on another game right now, haha.

How are you finding KOTOR? Some people are having trouble with the controls of that one, but I found, once I turned the sensitivity up, I was very comfortable. 

I highly, HIGHLY, recommend XCOM. It plays like a dream on the iPad, and it's awesome having a tactics game of that depth for on-the-go play (without having to buy an Alienware laptop, I mean). 

I do agree with you with some of the Square Enix games. Those games that they've custom built for iPad (Chaos Rings etc) tend to fare better than the ports. Except Theatrhythm. That game is gorgeous on Retina.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pixelman Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:03 am

The controls bugged me in KOTOR at first, but I've warmed up to them since. I haven't messed with the sensitivity either, though maybe I should, haha. Only thing I've noticed that I really don't like is that they seemed to have sped up the run animations, and they don't look as slick as they used to. Minor quibble though. Fantastic game, it's in my top 5 of all time.

edit: Yeah, presentation-wise Chaos Rings was pretty great, though gameplay-wise I don't think it holds up to its FF brethren.
pixelman
pixelman

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:06 am

pixelman wrote:The controls bugged me in KOTOR at first, but I've warmed up to them since. I haven't messed with the sensitivity either, though maybe I should, haha. Only thing I've noticed that I really don't like is that they seemed to have sped up the run animations, and they don't look as slick as they used to. Minor quibble though. Fantastic game, it's in my top 5 of all time.

I found on the default setting the camera panning was too slow for the way I liked to play. I turned it up and all of a sudden everything moved much more slickly. 

That said, if the game didn't pause at the start of combat/ if it wasn't possible to pause and set commands, the game would likely have been far more frustrating. Thank goodness Bioware, all those years ago, understood that RPG players aren't action gamers, lol. Laughing

Did you get Baldur's Gate before it was pulled from the App store?

pixelman wrote:edit: Yeah, presentation-wise Chaos Rings was pretty great, though gameplay-wise I don't think it holds up to its FF brethren.

Oh, agreed there. Chaos Rings games are entirely too grind-heavy for their own good. 

ummm.... Fortune Street is as good on iPhone as the Wii one! Haha.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pixelman Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:33 am

Yeah, I'm missing hotkeys just a little bit, but pausing lets me take things a bit slower, so it's all good. I really, really can't wait for the controllers to hit the market. Stuff like this with some official controller support is going to really rock my world. I can't wait to make a game with it too...

I never jumped on Baldur's Gate, no. I've had really poor luck with WRPGs in general (the only exception is KOTOR), and that one really didn't look like something I'd be interested in, especially for ten bucks.

Haha I rented Fortune Street one time and it didn't really click with me. I think I downloaded the iPhone version later, same story.
pixelman
pixelman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:31 pm

My iPhone/iPad get minimal use around the house - mostly when I want filler on the road. My recently played titles are Tekken Card Tournament, Infinity Blade II, and Angry Birds Star Wars
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

http://chalgyrsgameroom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:23 am

jrpgs for sure
Stealth
Stealth

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:24 am

Chalgyr wrote:My iPhone/iPad get minimal use around the house - mostly when I want filler on the road. My recently played titles are Tekken Card Tournament, Infinity Blade II, and Angry Birds Star Wars

You're a Magic The Gathering fan I know - I recommend you check out the new Duals of the Planeswalker game on the iPad - it's a 1GB download, but I've been messing around with it for a few hours now, and it is really, really good, and perfect for the portable. 

There's sealed play now, which I know will make you very happy ;-)
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:49 am

Usually turn-based ones and games where touch controls make sense, like puzzlers, Point & Clicks, or simple action games.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

http://caniswolfredsden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:37 pm

MattS wrote:
Chalgyr wrote:My iPhone/iPad get minimal use around the house - mostly when I want filler on the road. My recently played titles are Tekken Card Tournament, Infinity Blade II, and Angry Birds Star Wars

You're a Magic The Gathering fan I know - I recommend you check out the new Duals of the Planeswalker game on the iPad - it's a 1GB download, but I've been messing around with it for a few hours now, and it is really, really good, and perfect for the portable. 

There's sealed play now, which I know will make you very happy ;-)

See, I have it for PC though too, so I'll likely get most of my mileage out of it on that. (review coming soon!) lol
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

http://chalgyrsgameroom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down