Digitally Downloaded Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catching up before Next Gen

4 posters

Go down

Catching up before Next Gen  Empty Catching up before Next Gen

Post by Astor M Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:52 am

Like the little says. I am on a mission to catch up on really important games before Next Gen (I know we are a few weeks away but there's nothing really interesting at launch so I can just keep going with my mission).

Now, my question is, what titles do you think that are very underrated and deserve to be played? Just underrated games like Nier, those games that never had too much attention. Any console is fine. If you can, include a good reason to play the game, you don't have to, but I will be sad if you don't. Razz 

Astor M
Astor M

Back to top Go down

Catching up before Next Gen  Empty Re: Catching up before Next Gen

Post by Chalgyr Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:21 pm

That's a really good question, and goal. I've been attempting to 'catch up' for a few months now, but with so-so success.

I have to say that the soon-to-be-released The Guided Fate Paradox is an interesting RPG title so far. I am liking it quite a bit and Matt was apparently a fan given the 5 stars he gave it in his review: http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2013/10/review-guided-fate-paradox-ps3.html. Honestly mine for my blog probably won't be quite a 10 out of 10, but I can see 8 out of 10 pretty easily.

I really liked Record of Agarest War Zero. It's a strategy/tactics game w/ lots of RPG elements. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you do like the formula, there's a hundred hours or so of play there, plus it has a retelling of the original agarest war in it you can play as well that just hits the important story points from the first game. I am not enjoying Agarest War 2 nearly as much though (I'm playing that one right now, which is why Zero is probably on my mind).

Those are a couple off of the top of my head I suppose. Smile
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

http://chalgyrsgameroom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Astor M Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm really interested in the Record of Agarest War games now after seeing some videos. The second one looks different but since ROAW Zero has a retelling of the first one, I might get it. There's a small list of games that I want on the PS3, including Folklore, Ni No Kuni, Star Ocean and Resonance of Fate. Thanks for sharing that one.
Astor M
Astor M

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:03 am

The Hyperdimension games I assume you've played.

But for other lesser-known but must plays - Legasista and Mugen Souls are good value, Enchanted Arms way back before games even had trophies. And Deus EX is really, really good.
MattS
MattS
Admin

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Astor M Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:28 am

I'm actually playing Hyperdimension Mk2 right now. Enchanted Arms looks really good and I never heard anything about it. I played Deux Ex and Mugen Souls but Legasista looks really good too.

That's two more games for me. Thanks!
Astor M
Astor M

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:27 pm

Yeah, you can skip the initial Record of Agarest War game if you pick up Zero, just because all of the main story points are in there. That being said, if you enjoy the formula, both titles are very similar (I sunk over 100 hours into both). Like many of these titles, there is a somewhat difficult 'true ending' to get by ramping up on highest difficulty and following a pretty obscure (read - I used a walkthrough on my 2nd time with both games) path to get there.

Ni no Kuni is definitely worth a play in my opinion. I enjoyed that one quite a bit. It did not revolutionize RPGs by any means, but the visuals and storyline had this sort of enchanting Harry Potter-esque feel to it when the game was said and done.

Enchanted Arms I'm mixed on. I played that one on Xbox 360 early on, and it was cool in places, but just a rental I kept for about a week to beat. Folklore and Heavenly Sword were actually my first two PS3 games when I bought the system. Folklore was entertaining as I recall it, but it seems like I enjoyed Heavenly Sword more (very similar to the God of War games) - though it's been about 5 years since I played either.

If you like classic RPG formats, Eternal Sonata was another older, pretty cool game (pre-trophies as well, like Enchanted Arms). The PS3 version of it was superior to the Xbox one - additional songs and content if I recall correctly.

I have Star Ocean and Resonance - but haven't had a chance to play either.

One that falls into the JRPG category I can't recommend was Ar Tonelico for PS3. I nabbed it really cheap, but it just never worked for me the way most JRPGs do. A buddy of mine at work borrowed it from me a couple of weeks ago, and he really liked it - for about the first five hours. After that he's said he just wants it to be over, but he's like 25 hours into it and wants to see how it ends. :p
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by Astor M Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 pm

I played Eternal Sonata a few weeks ago and I loved it. Now I'm worried about Ar Tonelico, is been sitting in my desk for some time now and I haven't found the time to play it. But I might get Heavenly Sword to give it a try.

Have you played White Knight Chronicles? Is it any good? I saw that the 2nd one comes with the first one but I'm not sure if should get it.

There's so many games I need to get, I'm still catching up on PSP games too. This black Friday I will be getting like 20 games just for the PS3. Lucky for me I have this next two months free so I can just play them all, when anime doesn't hit me in the face every now and then.

Thanks!
Astor M
Astor M

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:32 am

Hey, I loved Ar Tonelico! It's a very (very) otaku game and all, but it's actually got a neat little story and the combat is button mashy, but decent fun. Not a classic game by any means, but I certainly preferred it to some other JRPGs out there (like the Tales games. God I hate the Tales games).

White Knight Chronicles is a very traditional JRPG in terms of the plot and the way the game progresses. It has an MMO-style combat system, but in effect it's the Final Fantasy that the PS3 got when FFXIII turned out to not be a Final Fantasy game. Get the second - it has the first built into the game as well.

And if you've got a European PSP get the PSP White Knight as well. It's like a merging of Monster Hunter and WKC.

If you've got an Xbox 360 and haven't picked up Lost Odyssey, do so. It's the only Japanese RPG that I can recommend on that console. But The Witcher 2 is on 360 as well, and it's essential. Like, really essential.

Star Ocean was the first JRPG I picked up for the PS3 when I got mine (I got the PS3 late), and I really like it. Barely remember any specifics as it's been years since I last played it, but it was a good, meaty game.

Some other PS3 games to consider from a range of different genres:

RUSE (Strategy)
Rainbow Moon (RPG, PSN only)
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll (Warriors-style JRPG)
Lollipop Chainsaw (action)
Trinity Universe (JRPG)
Risen 2: Dark Waters (WRPG, B-Grade, but appealing once you get past its flaws)
Two Worlds 2 (WRPG, As above it's B-Grade, but appealing)
MattS
MattS
Admin

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Astor M Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:54 am

The Witcher 2 is the only game I have played on my PC and the rest are visual novels, such a great game. I'm probably going to play Ar Tonelico after Hyperdimension MK2, is made by Gust so I'm sure I'll will like it. On a side note, I'm loving Hyperdimension. Feels like a love letter to someone like me. I can't believe I waited so long to play it.

I'm surprised that you hate the Tales games. I've only played 3 of them (Phantasia, Graces and Xillia) and I though they had really good combat system, one of my favorite combat system actually. Not my favorite series but is a decent one. What didn't you like about them? I'm sorry for asking, I'm just curious.

Those are some good recommendations. I'll be sure to check them out. Thank you.

Astor M
Astor M

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:29 pm

Risen I eally struggled to get into, but i haven't tried part 2 yet, though I recently got it for PC

Matt hit White Knight pretty well on the head. I am sort of odd on that one. I really enjoyed the first game when I played it on my PS3 - it was brand new at the time, and I thought it was fun. Then I picked uppart 2 a good time after and really struggled to get back into it. I had to start from scratch though, because my old save data was on my then-dead PS3, so maybe that impacted me a bit, because the systems and everything were faster and better, yet part 2 felt more grind-y to me for whatever reason.

I second the lost Odyssey vote on Xbox, btw.

I have two tales games - I just haven't played them yet. My son really enjoyed Graces F though. He doesn't usually play RPGs very heavily, but he sunk a lot of time into that one.

I still need to play RUSE. I have heard it's really good. :/ So many games! lol
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:04 pm

I suggest grabbing Tales of Vesperia if you can. IMO, it's the best Current-Gen Tales game out there, and one of my favorite RPGs. It has a good combat system - not as good as Graces f, but still really good; The art style, graphics, and characters are the best out of any Tales game I've played, too, and the story is serviceable, certainly better than the first half of Graces f, but not as good as the second half. It also doesn't feel nearly as cramped or held back as both of the Tales games on the PS3, at least from what I've played.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

http://caniswolfredsden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum