Digitally Downloaded Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which portable games devices do you actually use as portable games devices?

+5
Magikarp
Midori
Chalgyr
CanisWolfred
MattS
9 posters

Go down

Which portable games devices do you actually use as portable games devices? Empty Which portable games devices do you actually use as portable games devices?

Post by MattS Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:19 am

Here's an interesting topic for me, because it seems increasingly apparent that a lot of people with portable games devices don't actually take these consoles out of their homes.

For me, for instance, my Vita never comes out with me, and my 3DS less so now that I've grown bored with StreetPass. I use my iPad for work, and so I have to take that around with me and, well, iPad has XCOM. What else do I need for gaming on the go?

So which portable devices do you use for gaming on the go, and why?
MattS
MattS
Admin

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net

Back to top Go down

Which portable games devices do you actually use as portable games devices? Empty Re: Which portable games devices do you actually use as portable games devices?

Post by CanisWolfred Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:22 am

My 3DS is the last console I've used outside of my house since I almost lost my GBA at a restaurant years ago. And even then, I'm pretty sure it's only ever left my house, if not my room twice.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

http://caniswolfredsden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Which portable games devices do you actually use as portable games devices? Empty Re: Which portable games devices do you actually use as portable games devices?

Post by Chalgyr Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:27 pm

It depends on where I'm going, and how long I'm going to be gone. I'm at home much more than away. Over lunch I play Magic or ping pong with co-workers, and I only travel to see family and whatnot about every 3 months or so. In those instances, where I know I will be gone for the night or so, I take my Vita and 3DS with me. Otherwise, I just stick to my iPhone.
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

http://chalgyrsgameroom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 am

I tend to alternate between the 3DS XL and the PSP Go. The XL is just the right size that it fits into all my pockets without too much pressure and I'd far rather have its larger screens on the go than either of my regular 3DS models.

And yes, I use the Go despite having a Vita since it can be rammed into a pocket without fearing the ramifications on the dual analogues. I do have a case for it but it's rather bulky, so the Vita only gets carried in a bag. On top of that, the Go has more internal memory and, consequentially, a broader selection of games. Still need to take a hit and get that 32GB card, especially with PlayStation Plus in the mix now.
Midori
Midori

Back to top Go down

Post by Magikarp Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Midori wrote:The XL is just the right size that it fits into all my pockets without too much pressure and I'd far rather have its larger screens on the go than either of my regular 3DS models.

You must have some deep pockets :O

I carry my original 3DS when I've got a bag, but only for the Streetpasses. I never play any games on public transport, since I won't have the concentration to play something in-depth and I don't usually like timewasters. I recently got the iPad Mini, but I wouldn't think of carrying that around. I'd accidentally break/lose it in two months, tops.
Magikarp
Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Midori wrote: I do have a case for it but it's rather bulky, so the Vita only gets carried in a bag. On top of that, the Go has more internal memory and, consequentially, a broader selection of games. Still need to take a hit and get that 32GB card, especially with PlayStation Plus in the mix now.

I love the Vita case my wife got me. It's a really nice one. It has a very snug, with some rubber molding inside to keep it both padded and safe, but is not terribly big and carries 4 games as well, and it velcros into a larger, binder-like padded/zippable case that has room for like 24 games, headphones and the plug. Nice overall.
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:13 pm

It's funny you mention the PSPGo, because when I do travel and want to take a Sony experience with me, I tend to take that rather than the Vita.

Mind you I have two PSPGos and one of them is loaded up with almost every single Final Fantasy game up to and including IX, so it's a basic no-brainer travel companion for a JRPG nut like me.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:05 pm

My Vita and 3DS get a lot of use around the house - mostly when my wife wants to use the TV in the bedroom and I don't feel like going into the Den. Razz I think about 90% of persona 4 golden got played that way. I never did have a PSP Go - just the standard one with UMD's. I did finally trade that in somewhat recently - I had beaten all of my UMD games and simply transferred my digital ones to my Vita
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by Astor M Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Since I work on an office, I always carry a bag with all my electronics. Laptop, cellphone, Vita, 3DS and my Sony tablet. But I always find myself playing my Vita the most. I got my 3ds recently and I don't use it. I only have one game (Shin Megami Tensei IV) and I already finished it. Never used my tablet for gaming. Other than work I travel a LOT, and my Vita has been my loyal companion since it came out with over 200 hours of Persona 4.
Astor M
Astor M

Back to top Go down

Post by KiDasharus Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:44 pm

The only portable gaming devices I use are my 3DS and iPod Touch. I'll take my iPod Touch places if I got a new game and it's good(mostly because it's battery sucks), and I take my 3DS virtually everywhere with me.
KiDasharus
KiDasharus

http://nintyonline.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:29 am

Astor M wrote:Since I work on an office, I always carry a bag with all my electronics. Laptop, cellphone, Vita, 3DS and my Sony tablet. But I always find myself playing my Vita the most. I got my 3ds recently and I don't use it. I only have one game (Shin Megami Tensei IV) and I already finished it. Never used my tablet for gaming. Other than work I travel a LOT, and my Vita has been my loyal companion since it came out with over 200 hours of Persona 4.
Rise fan? Razz
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:08 am

KiDasharus wrote:The only portable gaming devices I use are my 3DS and iPod Touch. I'll take my iPod Touch places if I got a new game and it's good(mostly because it's battery sucks), and I take my 3DS virtually everywhere with me.
Just curious - what model of iPod Touch do you have? I've noticed major differences between generations and (most importantly) backlight usage. I guess it depends on what games you play as well, but I've been able to get time comparable to or in excess of standard handhelds with even 3rd and 4th gen models.
Midori
Midori

Back to top Go down

Post by KiDasharus Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:24 am

Midori wrote:
KiDasharus wrote:The only portable gaming devices I use are my 3DS and iPod Touch. I'll take my iPod Touch places if I got a new game and it's good(mostly because it's battery sucks), and I take my 3DS virtually everywhere with me.
Just curious - what model of iPod Touch do you have? I've noticed major differences between generations and (most importantly) backlight usage. I guess it depends on what games you play as well, but I've been able to get time comparable to or in excess of standard handhelds with even 3rd and 4th gen models.
I have fourth gen. I probably won't get another for quite a while, I'm quite content with it(minus the bad battery). It does get a little laggy sometimes though and so far the only game I've seen that I couldn't play on it that I've wanted is Limbo, but I can live without that.
KiDasharus
KiDasharus

http://nintyonline.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:53 pm

MattS wrote:
Astor M wrote:Since I work on an office, I always carry a bag with all my electronics. Laptop, cellphone, Vita, 3DS and my Sony tablet. But I always find myself playing my Vita the most. I got my 3ds recently and I don't use it. I only have one game (Shin Megami Tensei IV) and I already finished it. Never used my tablet for gaming. Other than work I travel a LOT, and my Vita has been my loyal companion since it came out with over 200 hours of Persona 4.
Rise fan? Razz
Astor - Man, it is easy to sink time into P4G, isn't it? I finally just beat it, but good lord I was immersed in that one.

Matt - I was with Yukiko in mine. Razz

Now that I've beaten the RPG, I need to play Arena. I picked it up cheaply not long ago.
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by KarakatoDzo Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Aside from my droid phone, Since it's easy to get like 4-5 Streetpass hits on my commutes, I always have my XL with me just for that and to play some Mega man.
KarakatoDzo
KarakatoDzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Astor M Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Chalgyr wrote:
MattS wrote:
Rise fan? Razz
Astor - Man, it is easy to sink time into P4G, isn't it? I finally just beat it, but good lord I was immersed in that one.

Now that I've beaten the RPG, I need to play Arena. I picked it up cheaply not long ago.
I did a harem with all the girls on Persona 4 haha. But I regretted it in valentine day, when Rise started crying it totally broke my heart. And poor Chie, I ended up with Marie in my first playthrough and with Naoto in my 2nd play. Just curious, did you got the True Ending? I didn't in my first play. I totally went back to pack my bags and left before going to the true ending haha. Then I searched online and what a surprise I got. I did got it in my 2nd play.
Astor M
Astor M

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:18 am

Astor M wrote:
Chalgyr wrote:
MattS wrote:
Rise fan? Razz

I did a harem with all the girls on Persona 4 haha. But I regretted it in valentine day, when Rise started crying it totally broke my heart. And poor Chie, I ended up with Marie in my first playthrough and with Naoto in my 2nd play. Just curious, did you got the True Ending? I didn't in my first play. I totally went back to pack my bags and left before going to the true ending haha. Then I searched online and what a surprise I got. I did got it in my 2nd play.
I made the mistake of wooing Yukiko before I even met Rise in my first play through, and then I was like "this here girl is an idol, sorry Yukiko, you can't compare" and then I felt bad :-(

I haven't got the true ending. I am intimidated on the through of playing it through again to get it, but I refuse to read spoilers for the game Razz
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Astor M Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:32 am

I though the same, I was going to watch it online but I refused to do it and it was totally worth it. I did my second play on super easy and I cut like 20 hours of the game, the first one i did it on hard and it took me over 100 hours.
Astor M
Astor M

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasuki Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:38 am

Sadly none of them. I have a 3DS that I take with me to some places, mainly the mall or somewhere I know that I will get a streetpass at. But for some reason I never play any games on it when I am out of the house.
Tasuki
Tasuki

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:14 pm

I guess this topic also depends on how much travel you need to do. When I had a daily commute I needed a portable console (the DSi and then 3DS at the time) with me just to make that train trip feel like I wasn't wasting my time completely.

Now that I work from home and my travel is more sporadic, the iPad in my laptop bag is enough.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasuki Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:02 pm

MattS wrote:I guess this topic also depends on how much travel you need to do. When I had a daily commute I needed a portable console (the DSi and then 3DS at the time) with me just to make that train trip feel like I wasn't wasting my time completely.

Now that I work from home and my travel is more sporadic, the iPad in my laptop bag is enough.
That is true. In fact the main reason I bought a DS was at the time my commute to work. At that time I had a two hour commute between a bus, a train and another bus not to mention waiting for them. I played it a lot then in fact that's where I beat Castlevains Dawn of Sorrow. Now I live only 5 minute bus ride or 30 minute walk from my job so even if I wanted to play a game on my commute I really couldn't.
Tasuki
Tasuki

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Mind you, I think you and I would both agree that a shorter commute is well worth losing that portable gaming time Razz
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasuki Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:27 am

MattS wrote:Mind you, I think you and I would both agree that a shorter commute is well worth losing that portable gaming time Razz
Yeah. It means that I can get in a bit more time on my home consoles. Very Happy
Tasuki
Tasuki

Back to top Go down