Digitally Downloaded Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, any Magic: The Gathering players out there?

+3
Magikarp
MattS
Chalgyr
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So, any Magic: The Gathering players out there? Empty So, any Magic: The Gathering players out there?

Post by Chalgyr Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 pm

I suppose that be a bit general - I enjoy the video games and would be willing to play against anyone else who has picked it up, but more specifically - I am curious if there's anyone who uses the physical cards out here. With the M14 release last Friday, I feel like I've been neck-deep in cards with my son for the last 3 or 4 days as we build up new decks and take apart old ones. If so, I'm curious what you thought of the new release? I saw a lot of old classics coming back, including new Slivers as well - which was cool, but most of the mythics have proven a bit underwhelming so far in my play.
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

http://chalgyrsgameroom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

So, any Magic: The Gathering players out there? Empty Re: So, any Magic: The Gathering players out there?

Post by MattS Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:21 am

I must admit, I haven't played Magic the Gathering (as in the card game) in some time. No one to really play against over my way, and no PC for the online edition (plus, I can't stand how ugly that online edition is).

I'm rather taken by Might & Magic: Duel of Champions though as it's on my iPad, and quite similar to Magic in some significant ways.

Have you played that one, Nick?
MattS
MattS
Admin

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net

Back to top Go down

So, any Magic: The Gathering players out there? Empty Re: So, any Magic: The Gathering players out there?

Post by Magikarp Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:16 am

I used to be into the cards a few years back, but only shallow casual play. I recently bought Magic 2014 - Planeswalkers because I'd played another card game, Dominion, with my friends and I remembered why I used to enjoy collecting cards so much back in the day. (Dominion's also excellent by the way, if you've never played it before)

I feel a out of touch though. It's been too long and I forgot what all the glossary terms mean, so my strategy is a little sloppy at the moment. I've never quite had the guts for serious competitive play, but I'll be up for an online match or two once I figure out how the game works again.
Magikarp
Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Matt: I just made this comment on your interview on DD, but I still haven't played Might & Magic and feel like I need to. I just got some sort of a bonus card for it too.

Magikarp: Yeah, I played for years, then took time off, then got roped back in by co-workers. It was interesting here at work recently. We did a sealed deck tournament with 32 of us. I landed in the final 8 and lost - but it was interesting to see the range of people playing. There were quite a few who had not played in years themselves.

I have always enjoyed the card game, but like D&D, my core group of friends playing it all moved to different cities after college, so I quit playing for a long time. I think that's why I gravitate toward the video game - I can play against others online.

My son's gotten into it a bit though. I was up until about 3:30 in the morning working on decks today, and my son was up working on some with me until about 1am, lol. Like chess - it's kinda handy having him about since I get to play games against him (he's 14, so he holds his own pretty well now)
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaan Joshi Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:49 pm

I used to play in middle school, and a bit in high school. I need to find my huge stash of cards and sell them.
Shaan Joshi
Shaan Joshi

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Shaan Joshi wrote:I used to play in middle school, and a bit in high school. I need to find my huge stash of cards and sell them.

I need to do that too. I had a card that was worth something like $200, 15 years ago.

I'm probably a millionaire and I didn't even realise it.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:27 pm

I'll um... take donations from BOTH of you. Razz

So... it's interesting. Having played years ago and now, a lot of the cards that used to be worth a fair amount are worth almost nothing now (like Fork used to be a $25-$30 card, it's like 40 cents now), and others that were worth almost nothing (like the uncommon Force of Will) that used to be worth less than a dollar goes for $65-100. The game is so different now than it was then. Speed kills. It seems like every deck is designed around speed. If you can't deal 20+ points worth of damage within about 5 or 6 turns, you're probably going to lose most of the time.
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by Magikarp Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:12 am

So my friends pooled together some money to get around 1000 cards and split it six ways. And then we're going to draft later. This is going to be awesome :O
Magikarp
Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Magikarp wrote:So my friends pooled together some money to get around 1000 cards and split it six ways. And then we're going to draft later. This is going to be awesome :O

I'm definitely open for some of that online play once you get a bit more comfortable with it, since I have the game on PSN and PC.

That said... very curious to hear how your draft goes - and what colors/themes you gun for. So, I had a GREAT deck put together until recently, but no one liked playing it. Land destruction. The game's only fun if people will play against you I suppose, so I went and dismantled it recently, but it was fast, and completely landlocked people. Over the last year, I've played it maybe a dozen times, won each time. A couple were pretty close mind you, but still - *I* thought it was fun. Razz

That said, my son and I sat down and rebuilt all of our decks recently, since I had purchased a new box of cards and done some trading with co-workers. He had 11 decks, and I had 44 originally. We consolidated and we're now down to an even 30 between us. It was fun working on them together with him, because while we did not always agree on the decks, he definitely brought a fresh perspective to a lot of their themes too.
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by Magikarp Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:08 am

Ok, back from the draft! We split 28 M14 boosters across seven players (4 each because some of us were new/coming out of retirement) for 40 card decks. The picks were surprisingly even! The best player feinted for blue and so the rest of us denied all the blues. Turned out he was going for an all-black deck XD

We ended up with one mono deck for each colour except for white, a blue/white, a white/green and a red/green (me). Winning order was Mono-Black, white/green, blue/white, Mono-Red, Mono-Green, red/green and Mono-Blue. I didn't do too well lol

Also one guy pulled a Jace from his draft booster. And then in his prize booster, there was another Jace! We were all so jealous.
Magikarp
Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:35 am

Magikarp wrote:Ok, back from the draft! We split 28 M14 boosters across seven players (4 each because some of us were new/coming out of retirement) for 40 card decks. The picks were surprisingly even! The best player feinted for blue and so the rest of us denied all the blues. Turned out he was going for an all-black deck XD

We ended up with one mono deck for each colour except for white, a blue/white, a white/green and a red/green (me). Winning order was Mono-Black, white/green, blue/white, Mono-Red, Mono-Green, red/green and Mono-Blue. I didn't do too well lol

Also one guy pulled a Jace from his draft booster. And then in his prize booster, there was another Jace! We were all so jealous.
Aw, no mono white deck? That's the best way to roll!

Glad that you're getting back into the game! How did you find the experience of coming back - any dramatic changes that surprised you?
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magikarp Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:02 am

Lol, one of my friends rolled with Mono White for the first half, until my faster deck beat him. That was actually my only victory D:

M14 was pretty easy to play around with. I forgot how compulsive opening boosters and trading around cards was though! I feel like I've been away from the culture for far too long. I'm a little split between dabbling in the game so I don't waste my money and going all-in to Magic culture and having the most fun.
Magikarp
Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:20 am

Magikarp wrote:Lol, one of my friends rolled with Mono White for the first half, until my faster deck beat him. That was actually my only victory D:

M14 was pretty easy to play around with. I forgot how compulsive opening boosters and trading around cards was though! I feel like I've been away from the culture for far too long. I'm a little split between dabbling in the game so I don't waste my money and going all-in to Magic culture and having the most fun.
You can always go pro and earn enough money from competitions to pay for your cards Razz

That was the reason I eventually gave up on the game. It was pay-to-win long before video games adopted the model. I didn't actually mind it because like you said opening those packs of cards was awesome (plus they smelled good Razz) but at some stage the realities of life caught up with me and I ran out of money to support the habit.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Magikarp wrote:Lol, one of my friends rolled with Mono White for the first half, until my faster deck beat him. That was actually my only victory D:

A pair of Jaces is nice - the Planeswalker mechanic was odd for me to get used to when I came back to the scene last year.

My recent M14 box was highlighted w/ an Archangel of Thune - that was a nice one. I actually pulled a Jace and an Ajani as well. My wife likes to call it 'cracking packs'. She knows how to play, and has played some in the past, but lost interest - but she still sits with me and opens packs with me, because it is an addicting sensation (i used to collect sports cards too. I was a lot poorer back them. Hmm... hehe)

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun with it though. I do find the core sets (M12, 13, 14) easier to draft and build around than the other releases (like the recent Dragonmaze, which had a focus on multicolor decks. That makes it really hard at times).

Probably the biggest surprise to me after coming back after years away is how much faster the game has gotten. Back when I started around 1994, having games go 10-20 rounds was normal. Now they can finish out in 5-10 turns pretty regularly.

Thanks for passing along the draft info - I was curious how it went! Smile
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by Tasuki Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:56 am

I use to back when I was in high school so I am talking about 4th edition and below. I still have a lot of my old cards too and I am sure that there are worth something.

A few of my co workers do and I am tempted to get back into it if only I can find the time to build a deck and learn to play again lol.
Tasuki
Tasuki

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:03 am

Here's a somewhat related question - did anyone play Magic the Gathering Online? I played it a few times (the ugly interface ended up beating me), but my brother played it for months on end. They have a deal going where if you collect a full set of cards digitally they send you a full set of the physical cards too, and he got quite a few sets that way.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:17 pm

My mother's boyfriend had Magic the Gathering Online and used to play it a lot.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

http://caniswolfredsden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Tasuki wrote:I use to back when I was in high school so I am talking about 4th edition and below.  I still have a lot of my old cards too and I am sure that there are worth something.  

A few of my co workers do and I am tempted to get back into it if only I can find the time to build a deck and learn to play again lol.
You know, I was surprised by how easily I got back into it. Really, they have simplified things quite a back from since then. Interrupts are now considered instants, and most abilities have actual names now (for example, vigilance on a Serra Angel, instead of saying: Does not tap to attack). Planeswalkers took a bit of getting used to, some of the newer abilities as well. The biggest adjustment for me, as I think I mentioned earlier, is the speed of the game.

I was really surprised how some of my older cards that used to be worth quit a bit (fork, deflection) were super-cheap now, but others had really rocketed in price (true duel lands, Force of Will for example).
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:03 pm

So I've been thinking on this topic - and I'm curious. Any favorite deck themes, or type of colors you just gravitate toward?

For example - I like Red. I used to place pretty frequently back years ago playing red/burn with blue/permission. 100% creatureless deck, with pyroclasm and etherstorm for critter control, and counterspells, unsummons, lightning bolts and incinerates to handle the dirty work, and fireballs, fork and deflection as my big guns.

Another I really like, and everyone I play with hates is my land destruction. Red/black that needs to get off to a fast start - dark ritual is a must to help pay for those stone rains, while the two swamp casting cost of sink hole was my most efficient method of winning. I would drop black vice on people, in hopes they could not cast, and they would die from the points of damage in their hands.

Another was an opposite approach - putting racks on people while playing hand destruction. Hypnotic specter and dark ritual made an excellent first play from that deck, but abyssal specter and hymn to turoch helped to round it out.

With the new M14 release, I was excited to see slivers return. My new five color deck sounds unwieldy, but chromatic lanterns help (every land can cast any type of mana - 3 casting cost artifact) and then a bunch of slivers - which do a nice job of boosting one another.

Just some examples of favorites of mine. What about yours?
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by Magikarp Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:14 am

I don't have the biggest collection of cards in real life, but currently I'm running a blue/black mill and discard deck. It works a little slowly though, so its only good if I get lucky with early game rats and lock down the opponent. I'm also running a rather straightforward blue/black zombie theme deck.

Slivers are fun, but the M14 set feels a little unwieldy. On one game I'll pull the Megantic and win by life, on another I'll have a Sentinel and achieve lockdown. It feels a little too random to me, since the strategy just boils down to playing whatever cards you have available and hoping you overpower the opponent somehow :/
Magikarp
Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:58 am

My favourite deck was always an all-white soldiers deck. There was some awesome swarm powers that that deck could offer.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CanisWolfred Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:13 am

I don't often play Magic, but when I do, I always use an Artifact deck.
CanisWolfred
CanisWolfred

http://caniswolfredsden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Haha - lots of good responses in here.

In reverse order:

Canis - I think my only Artifact deck right now is Myr. It's almost strictly artifact (running off of Urza lands), but has a splash of white in there (mostly for tempered steel)

Matt - white definitely has some nice weenie-swarm power. In fact, I have 2 straight white decks - one knights and the other soldiers. The mechanic for knights is running 4 exemplars - they make all other knights indestructible. Lots of fun to mix that with a wrath of god. One side wipes, one marches. My soldier deck has a lot of interplay with artifacts as well. There are some nifty human soldiers who get fun boosts w/ certain kinds of artifacts.

Magikarp - Love me some mill and hand destruction. Blue has so many wicked mill cards now - it's a much more viable option than it used to be years ago when Millstone was your best friend.

The slivers are a bit more all over the board now I think - it's all the new mechanics. In my mind, Green is the sliver color of choice. the old school muscle slivers and the new M14 that give all slivers +1/+1 is really nice. There are some trample and mana-giving greens as well.
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by Magikarp Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:39 am

So for a friend's birthday, we pooled together some money to draft Theros. This must have been one of the most fun expansions to draft, ever. It's full of versatile creatures and spells which form nice combos but aren't restrictive to certain tribes or colours. All of us ended with fairly powerful dual decks with unprecedented card synergy for the limited format. It's also a whole lot of fun to play!

I wound up with a Blue/White Heroic and Enchantment based deck which created hilarious results. Stuff like a 4/9 Flying creature with Vigilance that could block multiple times and a 8/7 Hexproof Unblockable lets me draw on every attack. And my friends pulled haste-giving equips which looked useless but actually won them heaps of close games. Needless to say I haven't had this much fun with Magic in a long time Very Happy 
Magikarp
Magikarp

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:03 pm

OooOoOo - I haven't touched Theros yet. Unfortunately most of the guys I play Magic with somewhat regularly have dropped off a bit late due to business. It's actually been my son and I playing mostly. Glad to hear you're enjoying it - now you just need to live closer to my neck of the woods so I have someone else to play.

Though, one of my co-workers posted this video yesterday recently to our team chat room:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmouDgc9hD8

And there were like 7 of us watching it at once. Sort of like a goofy introduction to Magic, but hey, it killed 12 minutes at the office. Smile
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum