Digitally Downloaded Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The sports thread

5 posters

Go down

The sports thread Empty The sports thread

Post by MattS Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Pretty self explanatory, but with Wimbledon, the Tour De France and the Ashes Cricket all happening right at the moment, it's a great time to be a sports fan.

So the point of this thread is - what sports do you play and what do you love watching? Very Happy

For me, I'm a competitive ballroom dancer (dancesport), which is the only time I have for sport. But I am also a huge fan of tennis, soccer and cricket, and I do like watching the NHL at those rare times I can watch it on TV.

Your turn!
MattS
MattS
Admin

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net

Back to top Go down

The sports thread Empty Re: The sports thread

Post by Shaan Joshi Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Today I learned: Matt dances.

Expect slight teasing Matt. That is all.
Shaan Joshi
Shaan Joshi

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Shaan Joshi wrote:Today I learned: Matt dances.

Expect slight teasing Matt. That is all.

Rofl @ that ^

As for me? The only sport I ever played really regularly through the years was basketball. I have been playing that since junior high, and I still watch the NBA quite regularly and try to go to a few Pistons games every year. The finals this year were really fun to watch in my opinion. I think my first basketball video game was Konami's Double Dribble on the NES. Tecmo Basketball was the first one with a full season with stats that I recall playing, and then EA's NBA games set the standard for years. Then around 2005 the NBA 2K games became my favorites and I still pick them up pretty much every year. The EA NBA games have been out of circulation for a few years now (not counting NBA Jam, which I have on PSN), but they are supposed to be re-entering the arena this fall.

Played plenty of backyard football over the years and I'm a huge NFL fan. Again, I'm a homer but I root for the Lions (not always an easy thing to do), and have been playing Madden just about every year since I first played it on the Sega Genesis. I liked NFL 2K5, and would like to see some NFL competition for Madden. I also tend to play the NCAA video games about every other year.

I used to box and studied a few different martial arts back in highschool and college. I tend to like boxing and MMA games now and then, but I don't pick them up every release either. Golf, baseball (MLB: The Show specifically) and Hockey are all fun video games, but I usually only pick up a new one every 3ish years.
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

http://chalgyrsgameroom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Bob Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:51 pm

My three main sports are hockey, football, and baseball. I used to follow basketball, but I lost interest over time. I also like to play lacrosse..

As for sports games, I basically will play and like any of them. However, my favorite series are Madden, NHL, and Tiger Woods. It would be nice to see some company other than EA make a NFL or NHL though..
Billy Bob
Billy Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:02 am

Billy Bob wrote:My three main sports are hockey, football, and baseball. I used to follow basketball, but I lost interest over time. I also like to play lacrosse..

As for sports games, I basically will play and like any of them. However, my favorite series are Madden, NHL, and Tiger Woods. It would be nice to see some company other than EA make a NFL or NHL though..

I hear you there.

Back in the N64 era especially we were really spoiled for choice with NHL games especially - Konami had a series which I preferred to the NHL series, and there was even Midway on board with that arcadey Wayne Gretzky series.

Having some competition is a good thing - Konami's PES series keeps FIFA honest, for instance.
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Bob Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:34 am

MattS wrote:
Billy Bob wrote:My three main sports are hockey, football, and baseball. I used to follow basketball, but I lost interest over time. I also like to play lacrosse..

I hear you there.

Back in the N64 era especially we were really spoiled for choice with NHL games especially - Konami had a series which I preferred to the NHL series, and there was even Midway on board with that arcadey Wayne Gretzky series.

Having some competition is a good thing - Konami's PES series keeps FIFA honest, for instance.
I still have Wayne Gretzky for my N64.. Great game at the time, but it's kinda dated now.
Billy Bob
Billy Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by jim269 Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:31 pm

i use to play tennis with my uncle and some times my brother but cant now with a bad leg. i love watching AHL (minor league hockey) and NHL

jim269

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Definitely noticing some NHL love here and there. I never got into watching the sport a whole lot - just come playoff time really. Since my local team is the Red Wings however, we're always in the playoffs, so I get some games in every year. I used to enjoy the video games a ton. Nintendo's Ice Hockey was probably the first I played, and it was silly fun, especially with a friend. Blades of Steel was amazing back then as well. It was the EA games that really hooked me though, with their stat keeping and season play a generation or two later.
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by jim269 Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Chalgyr wrote:Definitely noticing some NHL love here and there. I never got into watching the sport a whole lot - just come playoff time really. Since my local team is the Red Wings however, we're always in the playoffs, so I get some games in every year. I used to enjoy the video games a ton. Nintendo's Ice Hockey was probably the first I played, and it was silly fun, especially with a friend. Blades of Steel was amazing back then as well. It was the EA games that really hooked me though, with their stat keeping and season play a generation or two later.

yeah red wings!!!!! going to win the cup this year! lets go wings!

jim269

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:56 am

jim269 wrote:
Chalgyr wrote:Definitely noticing some NHL love here and there. I never got into watching the sport a whole lot - just come playoff time really. Since my local team is the Red Wings however, we're always in the playoffs, so I get some games in every year. I used to enjoy the video games a ton. Nintendo's Ice Hockey was probably the first I played, and it was silly fun, especially with a friend. Blades of Steel was amazing back then as well. It was the EA games that really hooked me though, with their stat keeping and season play a generation or two later.

yeah red wings!!!!! going to win the cup this year! lets go wings!

*gives Jim all the thumbs-up he can* Smile
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

The sports thread Empty Madden!

Post by Chalgyr Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:47 pm

So, I'm giving this post a slight bump - just picked up Madden 25 yesterday and wondering if we had anyone else here on the forums playing? I'm doing an off-line franchise and an online with my college buddy that has played almost every version of the franchise himself. So far the changes from last year seem minimal, but with a variety of welcome tweaks. I'll post more within a few days as I get to spend more time with it (I got ot bed at like 4am today after playing it 9 straight hours last night, sheesh).

On a related note, I thought about trying to organize a fantasy football team here, but I don't think we would have enough takers yet - but maybe next year if there's interest? I was reminded of that last night when I was drafting for my work one online (while playing madden. NFL overload?)
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down

Post by MattS Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Chalgyr wrote:So, I'm giving this post a slight bump - just picked up Madden 25 yesterday and wondering if we had anyone else here on the forums playing? I'm doing an off-line franchise and an online with my college buddy that has played almost every version of the franchise himself. So far the changes from last year seem minimal, but with a variety of welcome tweaks. I'll post more within a few days as I get to spend more time with it (I got ot bed at like 4am today after playing it 9 straight hours last night, sheesh).

On a related note, I thought about trying to organize a fantasy football team here, but I don't think we would have enough takers yet - but maybe next year if there's interest? I was reminded of that last night when I was drafting for my work one online (while playing madden. NFL overload?)
Sorry dude, I'm too busy with soccer right now. See, my team has made the English Premier League, which means I am all inspired with theFifa games and the manager games and such Razz
MattS
MattS
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chalgyr Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:33 pm

Haha - fair enough. I have a few buddies who play Madden on PS3 and we're in a league together, but I'm always up for playing against more, different people. I don't like playing with strangers in online leagues though. When someone else is the commish - there's really nothing much you can do if they decide to be a dink and boot you, or just advance, or change the rules, etc - and I've found that when I run a league, it's hard to get consistent participation. Inevitably a lot of people wind up dropping out or just neglecting their teams, that sort of thing. Online is awesome in theory, but it's hard to find a good pace

NFL regular season starts next week. Good lordy I am ready to watch it. Smile
Chalgyr
Chalgyr

Back to top Go down